One week remains in the regular season, but the Class 5 District 8 standings appear to be all but finalized.
Thanks to Staley's big 28-10 victory against defending Class 4 state champion Kearney, the Falcons look like they have clinched the top district spot (especially since they will blow out Ruskin this week). Liberty has clinched the No. 2 seed after crushing Truman.
St. Joseph Central and Liberty North are still battling for third place in the standings. However, since the Indians defeated the Eagles two weeks ago, they hold the seeding tiebreaker. That means North can start preparing to play Oak Park in the first round of districts.
Rank. Team (Record) Pts. Next Opponent (Record)
1. Staley (6-2) 41.93 Ruskin (2-6)
2. Liberty (6-2) 39.75 Lee's Summit North (1-7)
3. St. Joseph Central (3-5) 28.41 North Kansas City (2-6)
4. Liberty North (2-6) 25.41 Columbia Hickman (1-7)
5. Oak Park (0-8) 13.12 Fort Osage (3-5)