Missouri high school athletics officials announced on Thursday, March 12, that it will limit the number of spectators allowed to attend the Show-Me Showdown state basketball tournament in an effort to minimize the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
The Missouri State High School Activities Association decided to allow each school to distribute 150 wristbands to their fan base. Outside of those tickets, only essential school personnel and media members with previously approved credentials will be allowed to access the arena.
The statement said that tickets already purchased will be void and MSHSAA will work with schools to handle any necessary reimbursements.
“We understand the unexpected hurdles this creates for our schools and fans, and apologize for the inconveniences it has caused. We wish the best of luck to all of our teams and a safe and healthy return home,” MSHSAA Executive Director Dr. Kerwin Urhahn said in the release.
MSHSAA also cancelled third-place games as well as any entertainment groups or recognition ceremonies planned for the events.
The final two rounds of the Missouri state basketball tournament are scheduled March 12-14 for Class 1, 2 and 3 and March 19-21 for Class 4 and 5 at JQH Arena and Hammons Student Center in Springfield.
The statement added that all games will be available to stream at www.MSHSAA.tv.