As families across the Northland prepare for the start of another school year, school districts are providing district residents with information families need to know before sending their students off to class.
Before classes at all school levels begin Thursday, Aug. 15, school buildings across the Kearney district will have open houses where families can learn layouts of school facilities and meet staff. The district is made up of the Early Education Center, for children in prekindergarten; four elementaries; a middle school, for those in sixth and seventh grades; a junior high, for those in grades eight and nine; and a high school, for those in 10th through 12th grade.
Open houses will be held Tuesday, Aug. 13, at the following times:
• 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in elementary buildings;
• 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Kearney Middle School;
• 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Kearney Junior High; and
• 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Kearney High School.
Early Education Center prekindergarten open houses will be from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on the following days: Puppy Pound, Thursday, Aug. 8; Forrest Friends, Tuesday, Aug. 13; and Acorn Patch, Thursday, Aug. 15. For more Early Education Center details, call 628-4116.
Parents of new students entering the all grade levels in the district can review enrollment center details under the parents tab of the district website, www.ksdr1.net. Supply lists for all schools can also be accessed on the site.
Start times Elementary schools open at 8:25 a.m. with the tardy bell ringing at 8:45 a.m. First period for Kearney Middle, Junior High and High schools begins at 7:35 a.m. Further information, including addresses and alternative start schedules for each school can be found by clicking on the desired school name under the schools tab of the district website.
The first day of school for Liberty Public Schools is Wednesday, Aug. 14, for all buildings except EPiC Elementary School, located at 650 Conistor St. EPiC’s first day is Wednesday, Aug. 7. The LPS district is comprised of 11 elementary schools, an early childhood center, four middle schools, two high schools and an alternative secondary school.
Back-to-school nights are a chance for students to learn where their classes are, get familiar with their lockers and collect any other information made available to families. The following is a list of nights available by date.
• Monday, Aug. 12: 4 to 6 p.m. at Warren Hills Elementary; 4:30 to 6 p.m. for the five-day early learning program at the Early Childhood Center; 4:30 to 6 p.m. for Kellybrook Elementary; 5 to 6 p.m. for kindergarten and from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. for grades one through five at Manor Hill Elementary; 4:30 to 6 p.m. at Ridgeview Elementary; 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Shoal Creek Elementary; 5 to 6:30 p.m. for kindergarten and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. for grades one through five at Lillian Schumacher Elementary; 5:30 to 7 p.m. for Alexander Doniphan Elementary; and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. for Franklin, Lewis and Clark and Liberty Oaks elementaries.
• Thursday, Aug. 15: 4:30 to 6 p.m. for special education programs at the ECC; and 6 to 7:30 p.m. at South Valley Middle School.
• Monday, Aug. 19: 6 to 7 p.m. at Liberty Academy.
• Tuesday, Aug. 20: 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Discovery Middle; and 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Heritage and Liberty Middle schools.
• Thursday, Aug. 22: 6 to 8 p.m. at Liberty North School; and 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Liberty High School.
School supply lists and school addresses for each building can be found on each school’s individual webpage. To find each webpage, go to lps53.org, click the Our District tab and select the grade level. Lists can be located by searching “supply list” on each school’s page. For more details, contact the district office at 736-5300.
Start times for each of Liberty’s buildings are:
• 7:15 a.m. for Discovery and South Valley Middle schools.
• 7:45 a.m. for Heritage and Liberty Middle schools.
• 7:50 a.m. for Liberty Oaks and Manor Hill elementaries.
• 8:10 a.m. for Liberty and Liberty North high schools and Liberty Academy.
• 8:25 a.m. for EPiC Elementary.
• 8:45 a.m. for Shoal Creek, Ridgeview, Alexander Doniphan, Lewis and Clark and Franklin elementaries.
• 9:10 a.m. for Warren Hills, Kellybrook and Lillian Schumacher elementaries.
• 9:30 a.m. for Early Childhood Center.
Smithville School District is made up of six school buildings: an Early Childhood Center for prekindergartners, three elementaries and a middle and high school. The first day of classes for schools is Thursday, Aug. 15.
Open houses for school buildings will be held Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 12 and 13. The high school will have its open house from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 12, while the middle school’s will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Elementary schools will have events from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13.
For new families, enrollment requirements and school supply lists can be found on the district website, smithvilleschooldistrict.net. For more information, contact the district office at 532-0406.
Smithville Middle School starts at 7:35 a.m. while high school classes start at 7:45 a.m. Eagle Heights, Horizon and Maple elementary schools start at 8:45 a.m.